The Surrey Heath Youth Council (SHYC) is the voice of young people in Surrey Heath. Our purpose is to improve the local area for all young people and to bring their views and opinions to the attention of the borough. We consist of a dedicated group of young people aged 11-18 who aim to represent all the young people in Surrey Heath. We recently took a survey of over 1000 young people and identified a number of key issues. The full results can be found on our Blog. In the past we have undertaken projects such as our popular Anti-Bullying Training Days and our Anti-Stigma Conference, featured in the Surrey Schools Bulletin. You can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07969 195371.
Our new project for 2018 is all about helping young people prepare for the future through a number of different mediums. We want to help young people get skills for the future and the world of work, give them the resilience and personal wellbeing to help them be successful and also insight into further education. This topic is split into three sections: Skills for the Future, Personal Wellbeing and Education which we aim to tackle through workshops, informational videos and encouraging discussion around the topic. Our manifesto for 2018 is based on our recent survey of Surrey Heath young people which had over 1000 responses. The full results can be seen on our Blog. Follow us on social media for updates and to join in on the discussion! To view the full manifesto, use this download link.
Join the Surrey Heath Youth Council...
The SHYC are always looking for new members!
You can join using our Online Application Form or read on to find out what being a Youth Councillor involves...
Who can join?
Anyone aged 11-18 (school years 7-13) who lives or goes to school in Surrey Heath can apply to join the SHYC. The Youth Council needs people with all sorts of skills such as organising, fund-raising, IT, web, graphics and design, video, running meetings and presenting. It’s also a great way to learn some of these skills. SHYC is committed to achieving equality and fairness. We welcome applications from all sections of the community, particularly from underrepresented groups.
You’ll need to be able to commit to:
- Attending most meetings. SHYC meets weekly on Thursdays from Sept – July (term time). In the summer term, we still meet every week but know that some people will have exams. One meeting each month is more formal, the others are about working on projects (and having fun). Some projects involve meeting at other times to visit places or see people.
- Getting yourself to and from meetings which are normally held in Camberley. If transport is a problem we can normally help.
- Joining in!
What will I get out of it?
- Firstly, we hope you’ll have fun and make new friends. There’s always food and drinks you can snack at every meeting, like brownies – yum!
- You’ll get new skills and be able to try things you’ve never done before. Lots of them will be skills that you’ll find useful in life and the experiences should help you get a job or a college place.
- There are opportunities to get qualifications and awards. Previous Youth Councillors have won the Diana Award, joined the UK Youth Select Committee, earned an ASDAN qualification or fulfilled part of their Duke of Edinburgh requirement.
- You’ll get to go on trips and residentials.
- There’s a huge sense of achievement!
You can join using our Online Application Form