Anyone aged 11-18 (school years 7-13) who lives or goes to school in Surrey Heath can apply to join SHYC. The Youth Council needs people with all sorts of skills such as organising, fund-raising, IT, web, graphics and design, video, running meetings, presenting. It’s also a great way to learn some of these skills.
SHYC is committed to achieving equality and fairness. We welcome applications from all sections of the community particularly from underrepresented groups.
You’ll need to be able to commit to:
- Attending most meetings. SHYC meets weekly on Thursdays from Sept – July (term time). In the summer term we still meet every week but know that some people will have exams. One meeting each month is more formal, the others are about working on projects (and having fun). Some projects involve meeting at other times to visit places or see people.
- Get yourself to and from meetings which are normally held in Camberley. If transport is a problem we can normally help.
- Join in!
What will I get out of it?
- Firstly, we hope you’ll have fun and make new friends.
- There’s always food and drinks you can snack at every meeting, like brownies – yum!
- You’ll get new skills and be able to try things you’ve never done before. Lots of them will be skills that you’ll find useful in life and the experiences should help you get a job or get a college place.
- There are opportunities to get qualifications and awards. Previous Youth Councillors have won the Diana Award, joined the UK Youth Select Committee, earned an ASDAN qualification or fulfilled part of their Duke of Edinburgh requirement.
- You’ll get to go on trips and residentials.
- There’s a huge sense of achievement!
You can complete an online application form, or if you would like to find out more then please get in contact.