Join the Surrey Heath Youth Council
We’re glad that you’re interested in joining SHYC! To apply, please fill out this form.
Who can join?
Anyone aged 13-18 who lives or goes to school in Surrey Heath
can apply to join the SHYC. The Youth Council needs people with all sorts of skills
such as organizing, fund-raising, IT, web, graphics and design, video, running
meetings and presenting. It’s also a great way to learn some of these skills.
SHYC is committed to achieving equality and fairness. We welcome applications
from all sections of the community, particularly from underrepresented groups.
You’ll need to be able to commit to:
- Attending most meetings. SHYC meets weekly on Thursdays from Sept – July
(term time). In the summer term, we still meet every week but know that
some people will have exams. Our meetings are about working on projects
(and having fun). Some projects involve meeting at other times to visit
places or see people.
- Getting yourself to and from meetings which are normally held in Camberley.
- Joining in!
What will I get out of it?
- Firstly, we hope you’ll have fun and make new friends. There’s always food
and drinks you can snack at every meeting, like biscuits and crisps – yum!
- You’ll get new skills and be able to try things you’ve never done before.
Lots of them will be skills that you’ll find useful in life and the experiences
should help you get a job or a college place.
- There are opportunities to get qualifications and awards. Previous Youth
Councillors have won the Diana Award, joined the UK Youth Select Committee,
earned an ASDAN qualification or fulfilled part of their Duke of Edinburgh requirement.
- You’ll get to go on trips and residentials.
- There’s a huge sense of achievement!
- Regular fun meetings where we socialise and talk to each other.